I haven't blogged in a while; here's my stream-of-consciousness on a snowy Sunday night. Enjoy the following seven items, helpfully itemized in a numerical format. There are seven because that's the Biblical number of perfection (also it's mostly because I got a little tired and I couldn't think of any more).
1. I think it's just a little bit creepy when I'm reading through my Facebook page and my profile says:
Boyd Allen "Likes" So-And-So's "activity".
What does that even mean? I liked your status or your post...not your "Activity"! What is that?! It sounds gross, whatever it is.
2. I LOVE Kansas City Chiefs Football. I know, I know, we were horrible this year, nay, even atrocious. It makes no logical sense, but I love the Chiefs. It's been a really, really tough year, but days like today make it a little more palatable. We defeated the horrible, ugly, dreaded Broncos en route to breaking several Chiefs records. And to make it better, we beat the Broncos at THEIR house, ended their already slim playoff hopes, AND avenged ourselves of the beat-down they put on us in KC a few weeks back. It was a good way to end the season. Go Chiefs!*
3. Saturdays are a my new favorite day of the week. Sarah and I have been deliberately taking Saturdays off (or in Christianese, "taking our Sabbath") for the last month or two. It's hard to make yourself NOT do anything for a day, but it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. If you are the kind of can't-do-nothing, addicted-to-doing-things, let's-get'r-done kind of person that I am, then I highly recommend it. Rest is good for the soul, mind, body.
4. I have an awesome family. Christmas and the holidays are best spent in the company of those who know and love you best. Thank God I got to do that these last few weeks. I am very blessed to have a great family and great in-laws. Plus they have really, really sick senses of humor. I admire that in people. Thanks for being so freakin' cool guys; I love you all.
5. I started reading Donald Miller's "To Own a Dragon" the other day. He is just the right mixture of honest, funny, and readable. I like the book so far. If you haven't read Miller's "Blue Like Jazz", you should.
6. As much as I rant about snow, sometimes it's mildly cool. If only I had a snowboard...and a mountain in my backyard, then I might LIKE snow. Also, it's kinda eerily cool how it brightens the night and makes it look like perpetual twilight because all the light reflects off of everything.
7. My 11 month old is teething again; two molars at the same time. It seems like hard work. I hope that I'm not one of those biological freaks who loses all his teeth when he's 50 and grows a whole other set. I don't think the coolness factor would outweigh the pain. Doesn't seem worth the trouble.
*I still want Todd Haley fired!
The random thoughts of a passionate moderate who is incurably addicted to music, practical philosophy, and learning new things.